By Betty McTraveler
Guest writer for The Right Solutions
This Pros & Cons recipe was not the best, but I had a lot of hope for it because I love chocolate. I wanted to make a healthy dessert and wanted to try something a little different at the same time. I ended up going with Healthy Avocado Chocolate Mousse.
It was good, not great: an almost 3- out of 5-star dish. I enjoyed the rich chocolate flavor. The struggle I had was with the blending. I tried for 5-10 minutes to blend this recipe. I’d suggest a better blender. I used an Oster. The blender left small bits of avocado, which took away from the creamy texture that I was really looking for. I would have to stop the blender every minute or two to mix it some. I did this three or four times.
It smelled super chocolaty as it blended. Because I don’t like to wait, I tried some of the mixture a few times when I stopped the blender. The chocolaty taste hit the spot, but I could still taste a hint of avocado probably because it wasn’t blending good. One side note, I (accidentally) spilled too much vanilla into the blender. So I probably ended up using 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract instead of the 1/2 tsp. that the recipe called for.
Food budget: $12
- 1 ripe, medium avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup 100% cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Blend everything for about 5-10 minutes until smooth. Chill for two hours and serve.
- Easy to make
- Only four ingredients
- healthier than most chocolate desserts
- Avocado didn’t blend very good.
- Texture wasn’t as creamy as I would’ve liked.
- If you don’t like avocado, you won’t like this.
- If you like avocado, you still might not like this.
If you try it, I hope you have better luck with the blending. How did it turn out for you?